FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> General Discussion

keurig coffee machines are a rip off

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
turtleman@can

keurig coffee machines are a rip off

don't buy one. They're more convenient, and the coffee is good. But they're fucking stupid expensive. You have to buy these cartridges of coffee that cost like 75 cents each and you only get a medium sized coffee.

If you drink a lot of coffee like I do, stay away from these things. I feel like I'm dumping out my pockets of change every time I make a cup.

*unplugs keurig*

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:36 pm 
kublikhan

We have 2 of these type of machines at work. I use them everyday and they work great. Maybe we have a different model than you, ours lets you choose how much coffee to dispense: 4oz, 6oz, 8oz, or 10oz. The 10oz setting is almost overflowing from the cup once you add creamer and I have to slow walk to avoid spilling it. So I usually use the 8oz settings.

I can't comment on how much it costs, but I am guessing they get a discount for buying in bulk. We go through alot of coffee here. For home use, we are still using the old paper filters.

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:49 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

my dad got me a free one from work, i never use it tho

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:24 pm 
ChrisLui

i've never had a cup of coffee in my life. i am even more anti-hipster than dakine

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:02 pm 
Aerasal

my dad used to always drink cheap coffee but my mom got him one of these. he was skeptical at first because of the cost but now he's hooked.

i hate coffee btw, dunno how anyone can drink it.

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:47 pm 

my apartment complex has one of those in the lobby. i grab a cup on my out some mornings. usually i just use my regular coffee maker in the kitchen, though.

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:07 pm 
foonat

i use my $5 used coffee maker to make some delicious coffee every morning because i'm addicted to caffeine and get a headache midday if i don't Sad

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:30 pm 
$paCe

You wanna know what's on my mind right now? it aint the coffee in my kitchen, it's the dead n1gger in my garage.

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:19 pm 

good thing you said nigger with a 1 instead of an i. otherwise it would have been racist.

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:22 am 
Scrubbolator

quote:
Originally posted by foonat
i use my $5 used coffee maker to make some delicious coffee every morning because i'm addicted to caffeine and get a headache midday if i don't Sad

it's easy to ease off of caffeine without withdrawal symptoms like headaches

i have like 2-3 glasses of coffee a day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frapp%C3%A9_coffee

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
InsaneWL

You should try using the my k-cup and filling it with your own bulk grinds. It's cheaper that way but it isn't as convenient. I find it pretty good after I cracked off toothpicks in the bottom where the coffee comes out so it would be stronger.

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by InsaneWL
You should try using the my k-cup and filling it with your own bulk grinds. It's cheaper that way but it isn't as convenient. I find it pretty good after I cracked off toothpicks in the bottom where the coffee comes out so it would be stronger.

hmm I might try this.

Actually when I originally bought it, the first cup I made, I removed the lid from the cup because I didn't read the instructions and the coffee tasted the same - so I'm thinking that I could just dump out the cup and put more coffee in it, and it'll be about the same thing without having to spend 10 dollars on a special piece of plastic

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:53 pm 
SaBiQ

they sell little foil caps that you can use on old kcups. But why would you want to - the whole point is the convenience.

We have a machine at home and I use it three times a day. I love the hazelnut, my wife likes dark magic.

It's not so expensive if you order the k-cups by the case off a site like amazon. and it's definitely cheaper than sbux/dunkin donuts.

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:21 pm 
turtleman@can

It is great for the mornings, I just don't think it's great overall if you're a moderately heavy coffee drinker. I'm going to continue using it for when I'm feeling lazy but if I'm sitting around working all day and I'm going to be drinking 5-6 cups of coffee I'm just going to make a pot the old fashioned way.

I mean, I really feel like they're ripping you off with the k cups. I'm surprised nobody has stepped in and started selling economy versions yet. It's kind of gross that they're charging that much when you can buy a bag of really high quality ground coffee for 10 bucks that will probably make you 50 cups of coffee.

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:40 pm 
foonat

so i didn't even know what this was, looked it up and i can't see a reason why you'd use this over a standard coffee brewer. am i missing out on something?

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:46 pm 

office lobby / waiting room seems like the only logical place to use it. you can have multiple flavors available and people usually only drink 1 cup there. if you're going to have more than 1 cup or don't care about selection there's absolutely no reason to go with anything but a standard coffee maker.

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:41 pm 
InsaneWL

The Keurig brewers do brew really good coffee. There is no waiting if you're in a rush in the morning, and there is no cleanup. The internal reservoir is kept hot all the time so its great when you want hot water for oatmeal or whatever else too. If you're making multiple cups of coffee in the morning, I'd just go for a regular coffee machine though.

In my house, I drink coffee, but my wife rarely does. So brewing a big pot of coffee in the morning, and throwing most of it away is wasteful. I've found that brewing half pots or quarter pots doesn't taste right. Also, forgetting to throw away the filter/grinds pisses you off when you go to make coffee the next time and its all disgusting. It's pretty much 5-10 mins for a regular machine with cleanup vs 30 seconds in a Keurig.

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
SaBiQ

No one has made cheaper k-cups because Green Mountain has a patent on them. People have tried and got their pants sued off. The patent actually expires next year. The company is planning on putting out a "new and improved" version of k-cups soon in order to buy them another 10 years with a new patent. At first no one will buy the new machines because their old ones work fine, but eventually (give it 3-4 years) all the old machines will break and you'll be forced to switch over. SBUX and DNKN have already signed distribution contracts with GMCR so there wont really be any competition to contend with.

I agree, definitely make a pot when you're gonna have more than a couple cups over a a few hours. You can use fresh coffee, ground the way you like, whatever flavor you like. Nothing compares to fresh ground coffee brewed perfectly. Particularly in lattes..yum!

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:25 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by SaBiQ
No one has made cheaper k-cups because Green Mountain has a patent on them. People have tried and got their pants sued off. The patent actually expires next year. The company is planning on putting out a "new and improved" version of k-cups soon in order to buy them another 10 years with a new patent. At first no one will buy the new machines because their old ones work fine, but eventually (give it 3-4 years) all the old machines will break and you'll be forced to switch over. SBUX and DNKN have already signed distribution contracts with GMCR so there wont really be any competition to contend with.

I agree, definitely make a pot when you're gonna have more than a couple cups over a a few hours. You can use fresh coffee, ground the way you like, whatever flavor you like. Nothing compares to fresh ground coffee brewed perfectly. Particularly in lattes..yum!

Who keeps jizzing in your coffee bro???

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
7VlesSiah

Re: keurig coffee machines are a rip off

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
don't buy one. They're more convenient, and the coffee is good. But they're fucking stupid expensive. You have to buy these cartridges of coffee that cost like 75 cents each and you only get a medium sized coffee.

If you drink a lot of coffee like I do, stay away from these things. I feel like I'm dumping out my pockets of change every time I make a cup.

*unplugs keurig*

I use mine all the time. I love it. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate. 70 cents for a cup is slightly expensive but beats brewing a pot. I mean brewing 2L is about $6.

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:30 am 
kublikhan

Staples has pretty good prices on the kcups. About 55 cents per cup:

Keurig K-Cup

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:41 pm 
The_G0D

Tea is where it's @ homies

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:44 pm 
turtleman@can

damnit, I can't stop using this fucking thing. It's just too easy

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:16 pm